Pages

Friday, May 22, 2015

DIY Birch Pots


Yet another birch project!  And this one, also, was super easy.  You will need several items.
A terra-cotta pot (We bought ours from Amazon here: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LVADT6A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1     ),
birch "ribbon" (Another Amazon purchase, link is here: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MA6Y5E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1  ),
hot glue, and that is it!  Except for the wheat grass we planted in them, which you can find at many natural foods grocery stores. 

Here's how we began:


This paper-like ribbon is very easy to work with, unlike actual birch bark.  So in a matter of minutes, I was already done hot-gluing the paper to the pots.  Now, for the bases...


I measured the length and then cut the birch ribbon right in half.  I hot-glued it around the base, first and then spent a little extra love on the bottom, as seen here:


This left just a bit of a lip to cover the tops of the bases when sitting upright.


They look amazing and all ready to have wheat grass added!


Okay, I admit when I first dreamed up the plan to do this one, I intended to have real wheat grass growing inside of my little birch pots.  But live wheat grass (sometimes called "Kitty Grass") was actually a little harder for me to find in my neck of the woods than it used to be.  And then, on the hunt for another craft project, I accidentally ran into a lovely sale at Michaels where these little fake grass inserts were 50% off. 


So, I went with fake grass.  (Not a bad plan when you live in a 420 friendly state!  Haha!) 

And this means of course,  no watering, no worries about low-light in my north facing living room...this is a God-send and I'll take it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment