Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Chocolatey Goodness



Okay, this is NOT my thing.  I don't do recipes.  I'm not a recipe blogger.  I don't even follow recipe blogs.  I do one site for this sort of thing and it's a big recipe website that has reviews and that's it. 

But, I have kids.  And even though, I used to swear that I would never hide healthy things inside of food for the sake of getting them to eat healthy (because of course, my children would adore all food and I would NOT coddle them in any silly food preferences) now, I do.  Because surprisingly, my three year old is as stubborn as they come about the food he likes to eat and these days, there aren't many things that fall in that category.

So I found this healthy chocolate muffin recipe.  And it was really good as it was, but I didn't have all the ingredients one time I made it, and another time, I modified it just to try it out and what with all different times I've made it, I eventually came up with this.  It's really good AND pretty dang healthy with healthy stuff hidden in it.  So I'm sharing it because I value recipes like these nowadays and thought someone else might as well.  Here ya go:

Chocolatey Goodness 
(Healthy Chocolate Muffins-- Yay!!)  
 
1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour             1 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder           1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon cinnamon                            1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
 
Mix all the above dry ingredients together.  Then, in a separate bowl mix together:
 
1 cup milk                1 tsp vanilla
1 egg             1/2 cup sour cream 

Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and then add in:

1 and 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips               1/2 cup frozen spinach (thawed)

Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.


 NOTE:    So, I know what you're thinking--that's a lot of cinnamon to put in a recipe and cinnamon doesn't necessarily go with chocolate chip muffins.  But don't worry, you can't really taste the cinnamon.  Really.  

(Another) NOTE:  Next time I have it on hand, I'm going to try adding in 1/2 cup pumpkin because I think it will add to the richness and because it's another healthy add in by which I can shamelessly fool my children into eating vegetables without them realizing it.  If you already have some on hand, try it out and give me a heads up, will you? 
                      
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment