Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Living Serendipitously with God -what fun!

So, I am discovering that I have a unique way of viewing the world.  At least, I haven't yet found anyone else who has mentioned that the perspective I am going to share.  Likely, there are others and I just haven't run into them yet.  It has to do with living expectantly, I think.  Keeping my eyes open for the "serendipities", I guess you could say. 

See, I am fully convinced that God cares intimately for what's going on in my life.  Some people seem to think that you shouldn't "bother" God about certain things.  I personally believe that my God is intensely interested in my every day occurrences and wants to be included in them.  Not just the "religious stuff", but the little things.

For instance, in my last post, I show off the very fun truck bookshelf that my husband and I put together for our son's bedroom.  Now, a few days before, I had been inwardly talking this over with God, after checking out Pinterest's inspiring bookshelf ideas.  I chatted with Him, something along this line:  "Look at these, these are so cool.  I betcha I could do something like this.  I'll keep an eye open the next time I pop into Goodwill, and God, do you think you could get us a neat truck or car and maybe a basket or wooden crate that would work just as well as a spice rack?"


I guess maybe some think that the Almighty shouldn't be troubled with inconsequential items such as this, but in my life, I have seen that God likes me to include Him in these daily things.  It makes Him very present throughout the day, for one thing.  I chatted with Him internally when I visited Goodwill, I thanked Him delightedly when He saved me the "treasures" of the wooden crate and truck, and marvel at His added touches (the truck had buttons that could be pushed and it made lights and sounds). 

Now, I realize this flies in the face of those folks who seem to feel that our prayers should be kept to  important things, such as...human slave trafficking or the state of our nation's economy.  Well, I pray about those things, too.  They sure are too big for me to comprehend and the Bible does say to "cast our cares onto Him".  What else can you do with problems that are so big, so full of pain or despair?  Heck, I sure can't figure them out!  But I believe God can.  I just think that God happens to be big enough and personal enough to want to tackle the big and small.  I think He likes to be included in my day. 

It's really a neat way to live, including God on all the inconsequential things and believing He is just as interested as I am in the fact that He just helped me find a rare sale on roast beef (as another example).  And I enjoy training my children in this method.

The other day, Caedyn, who is two and a half, wanted something like a gumball or something.  We were at the Goodwill again.  And I limit his sugar intake, so the answer had been "no" on this particular day.  But, I told him, "Maybe we can find something here that is special for Caedyn--something special that God picks out for you--what do you say?"  Well, sure, he liked that idea.  So, right there in the store, we prayed together, "God, do you think you could find something here for Caedyn that is very special?  Something he would really like?  You know best what that would be; I just ask you would help us to find it."



I moved the cart towards the toy aisle, telling Caedyn, "Now let's see if we can find the something special that God has for you."  We were both looking, but he found it.  And it was special, indeed.

Caedyn suddenly pointed down at a shelf with cars and began to say excitedly, "There's my truck!  There's my Mater!"

I have mentioned before, Pixar's Cars is a favorite in our house.  Well, sitting on that shelf in pristine condition was a little Mater, a twin to another he owns, except it had the red white and blue colors to another version of the character.  But my boy knew it was his.  This, of course, was the toy that God had already found for him.  He knew it, and at the price of 50 cents, I sure knew it too!

There are some days, when we might ask God for something and the answer is not so readily obvious, or simply "no".  But that might be because He has a better plan cooking.


For instance, I wanted to purchase a Cars bed for my son, but they are too pricey for us.  I had been looking at craigslist, but even the used offerings were high.  Still, I was thinking about taking the dive anyway, when I believe God directed me a different route.  I put "Lightning McQueen" in the search bar and something popped up in the barter section.  A cars bed for trade--what did I have?  What followed, was the best craigslist trade ever for both parties.  They needed a nice pack and play (which I had been planning on getting rid of and soon as I could utilize Caedyn's current toddler bed for my daughter).  What prevented me from giving Caedyn's toddler bed to Mystery?  Well, I hadn't found him a Cars bed yet.  They got the pack and play.  I got the Cars bed.  Mystery got Caedyn's toddler bed.  Woo hoo!  Way to go, God!

Anyway, it's a fun way to live.  It's what we do:  we pull God into the personal, whether He goes with us on a shopping adventure to the grocery store or we share with Him when we stub a toe or our feelings are hurt.  Because these things matter to Him.  And He's big enough to care about it ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment